1/19/2015

Kerala - wildlife

Kerala is full of wildlife. The wildest and most dangerous of it turned out to be...monkeys.

Zoo?
How come? - one can think. Monkeys? Those cute, innocent creatures? It's impossible that those sweet animals could do anything wrong... And yet!

Aren't they sooooo cute...?
Our monkey adventure started when we left the shore and we reached Thekaddy, where we stayed in Aranya Nivas hotel surrounded by jungle. And where is jungle there are monkeys. Lots of them. And all really cute, running around, chasing each other, jumping around, nothing but stand there and look at them for hours! It was less cute when one of them would try to wrestle a tourist passing by with a bottle of water, but well, it was his fault right? Unfortunately many tourists don't realize that feeding those sweet creatures is not such a good idea.


After we got back to the hotel Stefania, Dutch blogger from Malaga found chaos in her room. Contents of her suitcase dragged all over the floor, spilled water, empty sugar sachets - it didn't look like a robbery though. Quick investigation led to the window which must have been accidentally left open by the hotel service, and some monkey shamelessly took advantage of the situation.

Monkey family on the roof of Aranya Hotel
There were even more of them in Wayanad, where we stayed in Vythiri Village, which itself was an adventure. Luxury cottages spread all around the jungle, connected by wooden boardwalks and hanging bridges, treehouses situated a few minutes car ride from the main complex (lucky Gaia got to spent a night in one of them). We spent there two days and it was one of those places I really felt relaxed at, I wish I could have stayed there a week.

Vythiri Village

The only downside were...monkeys. First, through slightly open balcony door they broke into Daniel's place, who, not without an effort managed to chase them out (although he had to use a chair to do so). Then another cute smart ass stole a cake from Edin's plate. However it was me who came first in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" category. The beginning was innocent: as soon as I moved in I opened the terrace doors to let some air in. I went to the restrooom for just a minute and when I came back I found two monkeys. Once they saw me they escaped taking sugar and chocolates. I made a note to myself to be more careful in the future and not leave the door open.

On hanging bridge between two treehouses.
From the left DanielShawn, me and Anita 
Next day I wanted to hang my t-shirt outside for drying (which, considering the humidity, might have not been the smartest idea ever) and sit outside for a while enjoying sticky heat. I looked around to make sure there are no monkeys around, opened the terrace door and I took a step outside. Before I realized I was surrounded by six monkeys. three of them slipped between my legs and run into my room looking for something to steal. Unsure whether I should lock the door not to let any more of them in, or leave it open to chase out those that had gotten in I rushed to save my belongings. 

One of them scared of me yelling and screaming run away, other hid under the bed and the third one, once realized there is no more sugar nor chocolates started looking around trying to find something else to steal. My screaming and hectic gestures didn't impress him at all. Panicking I started to grab anything that was within the reach of her greedy paws - phone, camera, clothes. Once he opened my suitcase I decided it was one step to far and I made use of that t-shirt I still held in my hand.

I started waving wet t-shirt at him hoping it will not end with angry monkey scratching my eyes out (God knows what they are capable of). Luckily he got the point and was kind enough to leave the room. There was one more left under the bed. Unimpressed by scary sounds didn't care about the t-shirt either (not so easy to wave t-shirt under the bed). Finally I managed to scare it off with the deodorant (note to self - spray is more useful than roll-on and finally I was alone. Except for a family of monkeys sitting on my deck looking at me heatefully... 


Unfortunately there are many, many people than feed monkeys not realizing how huge problem it can cause. Even if it's just an apple it can easily lead to monkeys attacking people. Sure, monkeys are not bears in Yellowstone, however any contact with monkey closer than taking a pic is not a pleasant one

1 comment:

  1. Stefania was not happy :) especially because all her travel related papers were spread over the floor and wet. Apart from that Kerala is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete